Playing Age: Age 4 by the first game of the Fall Soccer Season
U5 is an introduction to soccer where the game is the teacher; All kids play and all kids get trophies. It is a pre-formatted season led by professional trainers (aka. Master Coaches) each week. No standings or scores are kept. Boys' and girls' programs are separated and each meets at their assigned time at Wagsdale Park.
Time Commitment: This is a Saturday only program, weekday practices are at the option of the coach and willing parents. Game times vary each Saturday from 8 am to 3 pm depending on the teams schedule.
- Ball Size: A size 3 ball is used.
- Equipment: Shin guards and they must be worn under socks. Soccer cleats need to be double knotted.
- Accessories: All jewelry must be removed including earrings. However, medic ID bracelets are allowed if covered by tape or a sweatband.
- Coaches: At this age our coaches are really team managers and/or activity organizers that assist the Master Coach in making sure the players are doing the games correctly and enjoying themselves. Each team can have up to 2 official “Coaches” to lead practice and 4 Coaches are present on the field for the first 5 games while only 2 coaches are on the field for the last 5 games. Coaches are the referees.
- Players: Game is played 3 vs. 3 (6 players on the field with no goal keepers) with 7 or 8 members per team.
- Game Duration: 2 - 10 minute halves.
- Goal Keeper: No goal keeper position.
- Conduct: No pushing, biting, punching, kicking, screaming, foul language (applies to kids as well!). No dogs on the fields, no exceptions. Children should be competitive, not the Adults!
- Emphasis: “Development over Winning” = motor skills, dribbling, kicking. Soccer Objectives: Score and Prevent Scoring
IMPORTANT: No dogs allowed on field. No parking at the apartments