Playing Age: Age 10 or 11 before August 1
U12 is competitive soccer; all kids play but not all kids get trophies. There are standings and scores are kept. Boys' and girls' programs are separated. Players are drafted to teams based on their ratings and abilities.
- Two 90 minute practices a week. Time and days are picked by the coach for what works for them, but generally they are M-F starting at 4:00, 5:30 or 7:00.
- One Game per week on Saturday (in some cases a Sunday game may occur). Games start as early as 8 am and as late as 6 pm and varies each week.
- Games are played about half at home in Ladera and the balance away in nearby cities.
- Players = 11 vs. 11 (22 players on the field with goal keepers) with 14 or 15 members per team.
- Ball Size = 4
- Game Time = Two 30 minute halves. Half time break of 5-10 minutes. Substitutions will occur at approximately halfway through the half (15 minutes) and at the half time break - clock never stops. Players may get a sip of water at the quarter substitutions but should not leave the field like at the half time break.
- Start/End Time = Games must start and end on time. Arrive early enough to setup your field if required.
- No coaches or spectators on the field. If an injury occurs, let the referees handle it unless they call out the head coach.
- Coaches are to remain in the technical area (if it is not painted in, use the center circle as a guide) and all parents and spectators will stay between the top of the two penalty lines. No one is allowed to be behind the goal lines - it is a distraction to the players.
- Referees Game Coverage: Every game must have a referee team (Referee and 2 Assistant Referees) assigned by Thursday at 9:00 pm or the game will be cancelled.
- Referee Points:
- Each team needs to earn a total of 20 points to qualify for the regional payoffs.
- Referee earns 2 points, assistant referee earns 1 point.
- Throw-Ins: Players are not allowed any re-do’s on throw-ins. If it is incorrect, the ball is turned over to the other team.
- Free Kicks and Penalty Kicks:
- All free kicks are direct free kicks follow FIFA Laws of the Game.
- There are penalty kicks.
- Offside is Not Allowed: Any attacker closer to goal then the next to last defender (usually the keeper), and becomes actively involved in play (ball is passed up to them); the referee should blow their whistle and give the defending team an indirect free kick.
- Keeper Ball Handling: The keeper can pick the ball up anywhere inside the penalty area unless it is played back to him or her by one of their teammates. If they handle the ball from a team mate, a handing foul has occurred and an indirect kick will be awarded.
- Playing Time: All players must play 3 "Quarters" before anyone play's 4 "Quarters", referees do not enforce this, just report if an issue.
- Emphasis: “Development over Winning” & Technical Cleansing. We have taught them dribbling, kicking, throw-ins, ball control, passing, top of the thigh ball control, juggling, front block tackling and goal keeping; now is the time to perfect it. We also add heading at this age.
- Soccer Objectives: Score, Keep Possession, Advance the Ball. Prevent Scoring, Regain Possession and Delay Opponents. Now introduce Tactical play as well.
IMPORTANT: No dogs are allowed out the fields for games or practices - AYSO has permits for the field at these times and dogs are not allowed and must be removed from the area before the game or practice can begin or resume.